Homemade FormulaA recipe for goat milk formula
I cannot tell you how happy I was to find this recipe! While Mila was exclusively breastfed until she was 14 months old, and as such probably did not need a breast milk replacement, I felt that she still needed a comforting drink and one that was full of nutrients. I am completely against tinned formulas, which have been shown to have high levels of GM ingredients, as well as high quantities of sugar. I did consider using the organic formulas – but I just could not get my head around feeding Mila such a processed food.
This recipe for homemade formula made so much sense to me, and Mila loved it! Please read the full explanation of why all these ingredients are included by visiting the Mt. Capra website at the following link: www.mtcapra.com
* Joe Stout is the President of Mt. Capra and holds a Bachelors of Science degree in Human Nutrition and Food Science and a Masters of Science degree in Clinical Human Nutrition. You can read more about the origins of this recipe on his website www.mtcapra.com.
Since the First Edition of my book, Mt. Capra have reformulated the formula recipe to account for full fat goats milk.
(t. = teaspoon; T. = tablespoon, C. = cup)
- 1 scoop (14g) – Full Cream Goat Milk Powder (CapraMilk™)
- 1 tablespoon – Goat Milk Lactose (CapraLactose™)
- 1/2 teaspoon – Grass-Fed Goat Milk Ghee
- 1/4 teaspoon – Organic Hi-Oleic Sunflower Oil (La TourAngelle®)
- 1/8 teaspoon – Expeller-pressed Grapeseed Oil (La TourAngelle®)
- 1/8 teaspoon – Unsulphered Blackstrap Molassess (Wholesome™)
- 1/4 teaspoon – Multivitamin Powder (NutriStart™)
- Based on Weight – DHA Supplement for Infants (Nordic Naturals®)
- 1/8 teaspoon – Kids Probiotics (Primal Defense®)
- 1 scoop (1,450mg) – Goat Milk Colostrum Powder (CapraColostrum™ )
- Fill the bottle up with 5 oz. very hot water.
- Add ghee and wait for it to melt.
- Add milk powder, lactose, sunflower oil, grapeseed oil, and molasses.
- Shake well.
- When contents are well mixed, add cold water so that the total volume reaches 8 ounces.
- Shake well again.
- Lastly add probiotics (to ensure their viablity) and any other once-per-day ingredients (vitamins, colostrum, or DHA).
- Shake well one last time.