Sweet Potato BreadGluten-free, refined sugar-free, egg-free. Made with goat's milk.
It took me a LONG time to perfect gluten-free, yeast-free bread! Many loaves were inedible, and much money was spent at the health food store as Mila went through her ‘toastie’ stage. I am very proud of this recipe, and it is the only one of my breads that Mila has not only eaten, but also thoroughly enjoyed!
Mila’s “toastie stage” (when she would only eat toast for breakfast) lasted for 4 months. As toast became such a big part of her diet, I really wanted it to be more than just a filler of processed flours. Which is why I have added the sweet potato and the flax seeds.
Instead of just being a base for nutritious toppings, this bread is highly nutritious itself. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A, B and C and the flax seeds add omega-3 essential fatty acids and fibre. Both these ingredients have both anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits and can both prevent and relieve constipation.
Key: gluten-free, sugar-free, egg-free, vegetarian, vegan, for adults too, great for lunchboxes
Makes: 1 big loaf or 2 small loaves.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ¾ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup flaxseeds, ground
- 2 T. coconut sugar
- 1 t. aluminium-free baking powder
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. Himalayan or sea salt
- 1 t. guar gum
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¾ cup goat’s milk
- 1 T. raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease your loaf tin/tins. I use two 14.5 x 7.5 cm (5.75 x 3″) tins.
- Mash your sweet potatoes (which should be at room temperature).
- In a large mixing bowl add the apple cider vinegar to the milk.
- In a separate bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the coconut oil and the sweet potato to the milk mixture.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until well combined.
- Scoop the dough-like batter into the greased loaf tin and quickly place in the preheated oven.
- Bake the bread for approximately 45 minutes. The bread is done when you insert a knife / toothpick into the centre and it comes out clean.
- Remove the loaves from the pans and place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
- This bread is delicious eaten as is with butter or almond butter. It makes a great slice of toast too.
- For freshness, it is best to slice the entire loaf, place in a freezer bag and freeze. Simply toast individual slices to thaw them as you need them.
You can replace the sweet potato with butternut and add a pinch of cinnamon to the mix.
Play around with flavours by adding spices (cinnamon, nutmeg), herbs (dried oreganum, basil, rosemary) and ground seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkins seeds).
As with all gluten free baking it is very important to get your mixture into the oven as quickly as possible once mixed. To this end be sure to do all your preparation before you being to mix the ingredients.
You may want to try these bread recipes too: