‘Mila’s Meals: The Beginning & The Basics’ by Catherine Barnhoorn selected as a Gourmand Best of The Best in the world.
Eeeeek! How’s that for a headline?!
“This massive book is a mother-daughter team work. It shares much nutrition information and tips, plus one hundred recipes. The photography is delightful. This is an excellent book.”
- Edouard Cointreau, Gourmand Awards, President
The Gourmand World Cookbook Awards have been celebrating the best food and wine books in the world for the last 25 years. The competition has grown to be the most prestigious of its kind and has informally become known as the Oscars of the cookbook world. Publishers from over 200 countries nominate thousands of books each year.
It is estimated that from 1995 to 2020 the world production of food and drink books was quadrupled, from 20 000 to 80 000 a year, with over one million cookbooks published over the past 25 years.
In 2016, Mila’s Meals, was awarded a Gourmand World Cookbook Best in The World Award in the First Book category at a glamourous award ceremony in Yantai, China.
This year, the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards are celebrating their 25-year anniversary with a special award – The Best of The Best Awards.
Mila’s Meals: The Beginning & The Basics has now been selected as a Best of The Best in the DIET category.
The awards take place in Paris from 3-7 June 2020 as part of the Paris Cookbook Fair and Village International de la Gastronomie. Mila’s Meals will be exhibited in the Gourmand display at The Paris Cookbook fair – an exhibition of over 2000 books from all around the world drawing an estimated 10 000 visitors.
And Mila and I will be there! (insert dancing emoji here!)
I look forward to reconnecting with the Gourmand family and the fellow South African cookbook authors!
The full list of South African Best of The Best authors/books
- Simply Zola, Zola Nene (Struik PRH 2018)
- Through the eyes of an African chef, Nompumelelo Mqwenbu (2017)
- Foodies of South Africa, Chantal Botha, Hayley Morison, Julie Brown (Jonathan Ball 2018)
- Sandveldkos, Rina Theron (2017)
- A Bite of Latin America, Susie Chatz (Human Rousseau 2017)
- Cook with Josh, Josh Thirion (Struik 2012)
- Mila’s Meals, Catherine Barnhoorn (2015)
- Shisanyama, Jan Braai (NB 2017)
- Brunch across 11 countries, Alix Verrips (2017)
- Springbok Kitchen, Duane Heath (Struik 2011)
- Gogo’s Kitchen, (Warsaw Consulate in Poland 2008)
- The Madiba Appreciation Club, Brett Ladds (Jonathan Ball 2018)
- Vin de Constance, Michel Roux Jr., Jos Baker (Lannice Snyman 2006)