Sweet Potato & Cranberry Muffins Recipe
(gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free)
With the cinnamon, nutmeg and cranberries… these muffins just smell and taste like Christmas!
They freeze well for up to a month, so make a double batch and keep them in the freezer. Take some out every night before you go to bed to have a delicious and nutritious, ready-made breakfast or lunch box food waiting for you (and your little ones) in the morning.
This recipe is taken from my book Mila’s Meals: The Beginning & The Basics.
Key: gluten-free, dairy-free, refined sugar-free, vegetarian, for adults too, great for lunchboxes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 12 baby muffins and 6 adult ones
(t. = teaspoon; T. = tablespoon, C. = cup)
[unordered_list style=’circle’ number_type=’circle_number’ animate=’no’ font_weight=”]
- 1 cup rolled oats, ground
- 1 cup sorghum flour*, or brown rice flour
- ½ t. baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 1 t. aluminium-free baking powder
- ¾ t. nutmeg
- ¾ t. cinnamon
- 1 cup sweet potato, steamed, cooled and mashed
- 2 T. raw honey (or organic maple syrup if you are vegan or your little one is younger than a year old)
- 3 T. coconut oil (or ghee or butter), melted
- 2 T. dried cranberries
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
*After a long absence, Sorghum Flour is once again available in South Africa! You can find it at Faithful To Nature.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
- Sieve the ground oats, sorghum flour or rice flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices together in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed sweet potato, honey (or maple syrup), coconut oil, cranberries, milk and egg.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix together until the ingredients are all completely moistened – but do not over-mix.
- Grease your muffin pans with coconut oil and spoon in the mixture making sure it reaches the brim of the pan.
- Cook for 20 minutes until risen and golden.
- Allow the muffins to cool slightly in the pan before removing and eating, or leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place in a container, seal and freeze as soon as they have cooled.
To reheat the muffins, simply pop them in a warm oven for 5 minutes.
Get your ingredients here
Add this to your very own meal plan!
Want over 100 recipes like this one?